AF-108 Kanban Fundamentals Team Training
Kanban Fundamentals is a two-day introduction to the core benefits of Kanban and flow. The course provides hands-on training for the whole team that focuses on how to utilize the Kanban techniques of lean and systems thinking in order to optimize the flow of work. This course will provide participants the basic knowledge on how to visualize work (create visual boards), identify and remove bottlenecks, and optimize flow.
Project Managers (Scrum Masters / Flow Masters), Product Owners, and Team Members who are starting on the first agile project or that have some experience on an Agile project and are looking to expand their knowledge of Agile practices and techniques.
- Provide a high level overview of lean and systems thinking.
- Understand Agile Principles and Principles of Flow.
- Build a Kanban board for your workflow.
- Understand how to manage Work In Process Limits.
- Get hands on practice with Kanban techniques.
- Understand some of the differences between Scrum and Kanban.
- Learn how to calculate and use metrics to provide estimates and set expectations for your project.
- Understand the basic principles of Kanban and flow.
- Understand the difference between cycle time and lead time.
- Learn how to create a basic value stream map.
- Be able to create a basic Kanban board and will know how to evolve it based on their project specific needs.
- Learn options for representing work tasks and designing task cards.
- Learn how to identify and address constraints on flow, identify needs for buffers, and manage work in process limits.
- Learn techniques to handle critical and unplanned work.
- Learn how to prioritize work.
- Understand basics of queuing theory.
- Learn to evaluate the value of estimating work and options for estimating work.
- Learn how to define specific classes of service for various types of work requests.
- Learn how to limit “work in progress” in order to obtain a higher throughput of work.
- Understand how to calculate cycle time and lead time.
- Understand cadence and synchronization with Kanban.
- Look at Kanban in context of other agile approaches.
- Review techniques for continuous improvement and structured problem solving.
- Two-day course with a mix of lecture, class discussion, and hands on practice through exercises and simulations.
- Class exercises and simulations
- Class discussion
- Hands-on practice with actual or sample projects building Kanban boards
- Ongoing, in-class instructor assessment